1) Would you tell us more about you and your interest in Photography?
THE EARLY YEARS –
I have worked through the transition from the black and white film era to digital photography.
I was born in 1966 in Mumbai, and at age 2, moved to Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh with my parents, when my father, a textile engineer with Voltas, got a transfer. We returned to Mumbai after 10 years. In the 8th Std., I had started exploring and liking the magic of photography using my father’s 35mm Yashica Lynx 5000 rangefinder camera. After getting a Commerce degree from Mumbai University, and briefly attending Govt. Law College, I turned to my passion for photography and started work as a Commercial Photographer. I moved to Daharan, Saudi Arabia for about nine months, and worked on assignments for Saudi Aramco. I returned to Mumbai again in 1990 and have since worked for many reputed national and international clients. EXPLORING ART –After working for over 25 years in commercial photography, I worked on exploring photography as an Art. I have exhibited regularly at Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, and Kolkata in India and at the Art Expo New York 2017 in the USA. My Artworks have been appreciated and bought by art lovers in India, USA, The Nederlands and Australia.
2) Can you please tell us about the types of Photography you indulge with?
In commercial photography, I shoot Interiors, Industrial, Corporate and Outdoors. For my Art, my subject range includes nature, wildlife, landscapes, festivals, historical architecture, cityscapes, cloudscapes, people and abstracts. My interest in history has driven me to document numerous old cities and lesser-known monuments in various parts of India and also in the USA.
3) What is the inspiration that keeps you going?
I draw inspiration from a lot of things like – good Art by accomplished visual as well as performing artists and the changing light of different seasons. The urge to create good Art and to do better is the driving force that keeps me going.
4) How do you feel when your work is exhibited and viewed by tons of people?
Showing at an Art exhibition is a great opportunity for learning from the visitors. Nothing is more energizing for an Artist than to meet Art lovers and Collectors face to face at the show. I look forward to such occasions to meet people and enjoy the pleasure and satisfaction they derive from my Art. Their eyes and smiles show me when my Art is being appreciated.
5) To you, what is Photography?
Photography, for me, is a great way of expression. Just as a painter uses paint and brush on paper or canvas, I use light and camera to capture the desired subject in a way that I perceive it.
6) Please share us some of your achievements in Photography Profession?
1. Launched photography portal – In 2000, when the internet was still new in India, I started and managed for over ten years, a pioneer portal of photography – ‘indianphotography.com’ to showcase the work of Indian photographers online. At the time, I had first introduced the concept of an online portfolio for visual artists, and designed websites for many leading photographers from Mumbai, Pune and Delhi.
2. Calendar for John Deere – I was assigned by US Agency Hellman Associates to shoot images for John Deere international calendar.
3. Teaching – I have taught photography as visiting faculty at three colleges in Mumbai – SNDT, Nirmala Niketan and St. Andrews college.
4. Workshops – Conducted two workshops on wildlife photography for Bombay Natural History Society, at the BNHS nature reserve in Mumbai.
5. Managing Committee – Served on the Managing Committee of AIPA (All India Photographers Association) and PGI (Photographers Guild of India) for 3 years.
Art Shows (Upcoming):
• Convention Foyer, India Habitat Centre, Delhi – 21 – 25 Feb. 2018
• Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai – Solo – 26 Dec. 2018 – 1 Jan. 2019
• Academy of Fine Art, Kolkata – 2018
Art Shows (Past):
• Three group exhibitions by AIPA (All India Photographers Association) and PGI (Photographers Guild of India) in Mumbai
• India Art Festival – 2013 – Nehru Centre, Mumbai
• Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai – Solo show – ‘Fleeting Moments’ Dec. 2013
• Trident Art Walk, Mumbai – Solo show – 1 – 12 Apr. 2015
• Art Around Town – Art Show in Chappaqua, New York – June 2015
• Taj Bengal, Kolkata – 23 – 29 Nov. 2015
• Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai – 8 – 14 Jan. 2016
• The Leela Mumbai Art Gallery – 5 – 11 Aug. 2016
• Convention Foyer, India Habitat Centre, Delhi – 16 – 20 Nov. 2016
• Art Expo New York – 21 – 24 April 2017
7) Can you tell us something about your Photography community?
My community is my FB fanpage – https://www.facebook.com/SanjayFineArt/. I have just launched my new website and blog – www.sanjayfineart.com where I plan to share my images, write about it and to interact with viewers and other photographers.
8) Can you tell us about the general response you receive in exhibitions?
“Peaceful, Tranquil, Serene..” is the usual feedback I have received so far from visitors to my shows. I have been fortunate to get very generous comments in my visitor diary, which gave me the confidence to display again. Regular sales have provided a validation for what I have produced and displayed.
9) What do you think about the scope of Photography in the modern Digital world?
Photography is certainly a major contributor in the modern digital world. The mushrooming of social media and other online portals, and the advent of inexpensive digital cameras and mobile phones, has led to more and more people taking photos and sharing them through various avenues. Thus it is impossible to think of a world without photography.
10) How do you feel about your association with Honeycomb creative support?
As a visual artist, I regularly explore labs in India as well as abroad, for innovative ways to print my Artwork. Honeycomb has always provided very good expertise and support for printing my Art.
11) Can you share us your future plans and dreams?
I have an upcoming exhibition at the India Habitat Centre’s convention center foyer in Delhi. The dates are 21 – 25 Feb. 2018 and the subject is ‘Skyscapes’.
It is my endeavor to be known as a dependable source for top quality Art for homes, offices, hospitals and hotels. I dream of a day when ‘Photography as Art’ will be universally accepted in India as it is in USA and Europe.